How do I deter quail?

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.

lucky2beme
Fledgling
Posts: 123
Joined: Jun 20th, 2008, 3:50 pm

How do I deter quail?

I am having an awful time with quail eating my garden, dusting themselves and making big holes by my plants. I have already lost 2 pepper plants, carrots and radish. I am also tired of them digging their big dusting holes throughout the rest of the garden. Any suggestions on how to get rid of them would be greatly appreciated. Is there some type of plants or sprays that they don't like? I know with the population that is here, I could have my freezer well stocked! :dyinglaughing: Hmmmm.......pssssst............anyone wanna buy some cornish hens? :discodance:

User avatar

MAPearce
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 15110
Joined: Nov 24th, 2009, 5:15 pm

Re: How do I deter quail?

Post by MAPearce »

picturetaker wrote:

MAPearce wrote:One word.....CAT

One word back.....owls!

Sure !! they'll work. Now, how does one convince an owl to take up residence in the back yard ?? i geuss you could build a barn....I don't know. I do know that cats will live anywhere near kibble.

I payed attention in High school....But I didn't need too .

lucky2beme
Fledgling
Posts: 123
Joined: Jun 20th, 2008, 3:50 pm

Re: How do I deter quail?

Post by lucky2beme »

No one in this area has outdoor cats because of the owls and hawks that are here, so that shoots down that idea.

User avatar

Bsuds
The Wagon Master
Posts: 49671
Joined: Apr 21st, 2005, 10:46 am

Re: How do I deter quail?

Post by Bsuds »

We have a Fox Terrier that hates birds and chases them out of our yard! Wanna rent her?

Foxy Avatar.jpg

DILLIGAF

User avatar

gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water
Posts: 13494
Joined: Mar 23rd, 2006, 1:01 pm

Re: How do I deter quail?

Post by gardengirl »

Bsuds wrote:We have a Fox Terrier that hates birds and chases them out of our yard! Wanna rent her?

Foxy Avatar.jpg

OMG what a cutie!

Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.

User avatar

Bsuds
The Wagon Master
Posts: 49671
Joined: Apr 21st, 2005, 10:46 am

Re: How do I deter quail?

Post by Bsuds »

westsidebud wrote:is it realy that big of a deal? you will never get rid of all the quail, so enjoy them

They go good with BBQ sauce.

DILLIGAF

User avatar

Fixer 166
Guru
Posts: 5028
Joined: Jan 4th, 2008, 11:11 am

Re: How do I deter quail?

Post by Fixer 166 »

Fun fact, I heard quail mate for life.
I think they're cute with that goofy thing on their heads.
Try putting chicken wire around your plants, Or you could place rose branches all around in your garden. ??

Every Relationship Is Give & Give

User avatar

MAPearce
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 15110
Joined: Nov 24th, 2009, 5:15 pm

Re: How do I deter quail?

Post by MAPearce »

MAPearce wrote:

picturetaker wrote:

MAPearce wrote:One word.....CAT

One word back.....owls!

Sure !! they'll work. Now, how does one convince an owl to take up residence in the back yard ?? i geuss you could build a barn....I don't know. I do know that cats will live anywhere near kibble.

RATZ....not literally.I geuss how ever to get the little buggers onto the BBQ then.

I payed attention in High school....But I didn't need too .

User avatar

sobrohusfat
Guru
Posts: 5500
Joined: Jul 2nd, 2008, 12:42 am

Re: How do I deter quail?

Post by sobrohusfat »

If you want quail but don't want them in your garden put out some seeds around a tree that is not very close to the garden and they will go there instead. If they still don't stop you should get a Finish Spitz they are bird dogs, i have one all the way from Nakusp. Once I trapped them in a cardboard box rigged as a trap. It worked well.

...and there you are, problem solved by my 10 year old.

The adventure continues...

skydawg
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3330
Joined: Feb 6th, 2005, 3:05 pm

Re: How do I deter quail?

Post by skydawg »

sobrohusfat wrote:If you want quail but don't want them in your garden put out some seeds around a tree that is not very close to the garden and they will go there instead. If they still don't stop you should get a Finish Spitz they are bird dogs, i have one all the way from Nakusp. Once I trapped them in a cardboard box rigged as a trap. It worked well.

perhaps leave some other things out to like garbage and food for the rest of the wildlife. smart idea